Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Food Food Food!

Haifa is filled with a host of different surprises. A couple blocks off of Abbas street, so named after Abdul'Baha (Abbas Effendi) for his many acts of devoted service to the city in his lifetime we made our way down to the "Wadi" part of the city. This portion of the city is known for its hot deals and good food.

A turn down what appears to be alley in the Wadi takes you down into a bazaar type area with people selling everything from olives to ribs to who knows what. In here we were taken to what many people call the "Best Falafel Place in Israel"... the man at the counter was so sure of the product that he sold and his ability to hook you with it that he quickly offered up a complementary falafel just for walking in. Having now tried the falafel, I have to say that is was some of the best falafel I've ever had anywhere... The falafel is served up in pita bread, where delicious salad, tahina sauce, hot sauce and other fixings are thrown in. The combination is amazing! All for about $1.50 US.

On Saturday, the good eating continued...I spent my day off hanging out with some friends up in the Markaz portion of the city. I had breakfast at a place called "GREG" not "GREG's", go figure... for about the equivalent of $8 or $9 US I had a savory omelet, salad, fresh squeezed orange juice, bread, cheese, and a latte. For some of the gang who would ask me to compare it to Le Pain Quotidien, I can tell you it was just as good... if not better for the price!

7 comments:

D-Ma said...

yea boss, sup with no $4 orange juice in a tiny glass there? take it easy!!! =D

Unknown said...

I think that's the falafel place I went to when I was there. The guy said "falafel for cheep!" and it was. truly the best in the world.

Anonymous said...

okay. We're going. One month.

Nura said...

Cheers to what that girl soraya said ;)

V said...

It IS amazing. But I can't believe you haven't had "14-shek" kebab yet! WHAS WRONG WIT YOU?

Sholeh said...

Glad to see you're checking out all of the good food before I get there! :-D

CongoNic said...

dude please, you are just bitter because you will never get to eat Le Pain Quotidien for another 3 years!!

You are now officially banned from ever setting foot in my favorite restaurant ever, and no laptops Biaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!